Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Thing 7

Today I explored some of the Google extras:  Google Earth, Google Docs, Google Calendar,...  Even though I am familiar with several of the features Google offers beyond searches, I have to admit that I have not taken the time to play around with most of them.  Today I did register with the Google calendar and posted the due dates of all of the assignments I have coming up for this semester.  I'm  hoping that I will be alerted a little in advance for the next assignment.  However, since I have not used this feature before, I am not quite ready to completely rely on that - I do have everything written down on a freebie calendar I got from the UHCL bookstore.

I also looked into Google Earth.  I tried to pull up Smoky Mountains.  It came up as a search that it did not recognize and offered me the Appalachian Mountains instead.  Rather than showing pictures of the pretty countryside that I had expected to see, I saw images of the destruction coal mining can bring.  I clicked on a few other buttons and found a Google Earth lesson plan about animal habitats for 3rd grade.  How timely!  Our 3rd graders are starting a 6-week unit this week about that.  The lesson plan is written for four, one-hour sessions.  I can't cover that in the time our students come into the library, but I do plan to share it with the team leader as another resource for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment