Sunday, October 17, 2010

Thing 10

Today's assignment was to have fun with online image generators.  I did just that - had some fun!  A couple of these were familiar to me, but most were fun to play with.  Here are examples of what I did:

Comic Strip Generator

http://www.txt2pic.com/comic-strip/

From Spiffy Text, through the Custom Sign generator.  Blake's homecoming date (Delaney) won Friday night.  I had nothing to do with any of it, but I sure felt proud as if I had!

http://www.spiffytext.com/

Word Mosiac, through Image Chef:
custom image
http://www.imagechef.com/

Wordle:  http://www.wordle.net/
I have used Wordle before.  This site is a lot of fun, but there are some things you should know about it: The more times you type a word, the larger it will appear. Also, you~must~use~this~symbol between words in phrases, otherwise the words will be split up in the image. I haven't figured out how to save any images yet.  I made saved screen shots for this assignment, and even those I'm having trouble copying and pasting into this blog without putting a whole Word document in here.  Make sure you print any randomized mix you like; once you hit the Randomize button you won't be able to get that image back.

I used Wordle in the library last year.  I had the students write down the title of a favorite book and at least 3 characters in the story on paper.  I may have had them list the setting and genre too.  They then typed the title 5 times and the rest of the list one time each and put it into a Wordle.  They were able to randomize their work and print one screen they liked.  I have since learned that it is much easier to type everything into a Word document and copy and paste it into Wordle, especially for 4th graders who don't realize they've misspelled a word (and because most of them still type using the hunt-and-peck method - it takes them SO LONG to finish typing!).  I've also thought of using Wordle by typing a certain genre mulitple times, and then listing some books in our library that match that genre.  I would print this into half-poster size to put around the library.  The trouble, though, is time: rotation doesn't leave much of that.

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea about the squiggly symbol in Wordle - thanks! I just tried it and created a wordle about Minnesota Nice that I'm going to post on my blog - thank you! As for the screen shot - have you tried editing in Paint? That's what I do. Take a screen shot, open paint, hit "control V," cut out the section I want to keep, go to new, don't save, and then hit "control V" again to paste my cut chunk. Then I save it as a jpg. I'm sure there's an easier way, but I don't know it yet. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    I love the wordle that you made. We have been using that tool alot at my school. Our teachers are using it for practicing spelling words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, that little pesky thing called rotation!
    would there be a way to use some rotation time occassionally with some students and let them help you make some of these things?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trading Cards are really popular at my school - they are easy to make and the kids love them.

    ReplyDelete