Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Thing 8

Today I had a chance to work with RSS feed.  I've seen the symbol often, but was never curious enough to figure out what it was.  However, I now feel slightly superior to my husband, because I don't think he knows what it is and I do!   I do think that I will like the convenience of having the information coming to me rather than me taking the time to check for it. 

This summer I found a couple of blogs accidentally when trying to find a certain recipe.  These blogs are all about families and food, so I checked back rather frequently (especially when I realized that periodically the blog host would give away items, such as a Nikon camera or a KitchenAid mixer).  I did post a comment once to put my name in the drawing, and saw that about 45,000 other people had too!  It didn't take long to realize attempting to win anything would be futile, but I really like the frequent recipe idea updates.  Cooking is a real hobby for me; this way I can save space and money by not having to buy a cookbook!

I also found several library blogs too.  One is all about weeded books, with people posting examples of what they have found in their libraries, while another has updates about what is going on in an elementary school library.  There was another one I connected to that has a great look about it, but it appears that the only post was the one she probably did when she set the blog up at an in-service day (I'm assuming).  It seems to have great potential; I decided to add it hoping that the librarian will find the time to start it back up. 

One way I see a usefulness to readers is in time management.  I know that my day at school is busy enough as it is.  Having updates waiting for me makes sense in managing that time.

2 comments:

  1. the blog about weeded books sounds very interesting...
    please post the link by editing this post...you can do that thru the dashboard OR put up a post with the info

    remember links are important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the link for Awful Library Books

    http://awfullibrarybooks.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete